Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vietnamese Composer: Văn Phụng

Born as Nguyễn Văn Phụng in 1930, in Hanoi, Vietnam, this legendary songwriter was also considered as one of the best composers of Vietnam music, prior to 1975 (prior to the end of the Vietnam War). He studied music and learned how to play the piano at a very young age. Mr. Van Phung was a brilliant student. His father wanted him to pursue a career in the medical field. After one year of studying medical, Mr. Van Phung decided to stop pursuing that field and started to follow his passion for music. From that passion, many of his timeless love songs were born, most were written between 1954 and 1972. Needless to say, most of them became smash hits and have been sung by various artists of different generations. His songs are still "hot" as of today.

I think it's not only because of the lyrics, but also because of the melodies--most are upbeat! Even this featured song, Giã Từ Đêm Mưa, it's supposed to be a really sad love song, but it's not depressing at all. I mean it's kind of hard to sound depressing with the ChaCha rhythm, right? Sad love song, yes! Wanna do the ChaCha? Sure! That's also why I purposely wrote "After the Rain" to follow "The Rain." Goodbye is only a temporary thing, there's always hope for reunion or reconciliation because I believe true love can never die. It'll be challenged, but the more it's challenged, the stronger the love will become.

"Giã Từ Đêm Mưa" is one of my most favorites from this songwriter.  Mr. Van Phung's Ghé Bến Saigon, Suối Tóc, Tôi Đi Giữa Hoàng Hôn, Mưa, Bức Hoạ Đồng Quê, Tình, and Yêu are among the many songs that I really like. These are classic hits. They're actually of my parents' generation.

I've heard quite a few versions of this song from the popular artists of yesterday and today. However, my most favorite version is still the classic version by Bich Loan of CBC, a Vietnamese rock/pop band, which was very popular and active in the 70's. They're are still performing today and I've heard they have their own music night club in Houston, Texas. Bich Loan is the band lead vocalist, who also plays the electric organ.

Mr. Van Phung was married to Châu Hà, a well-known Vietnamese singer of my parents' generation. Mr. Van Phung passed away on December 17, 1999, in Virginia. I made a music clip, featuring "Giã Từ Đêm Mưa," as my dedication to Mr. Van Phung, our brilliant and talented songwriter. Thank you, Mr. Van Phung, for leaving us with so many beautiful songs, to be forever treasured in the music of Vietnam Mr.
To watch my upload of "Giã Từ Đêm Mưa" on YouTube, click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfH5HLu_DNU


To watch my upload of "Bức Hoạ Đồng Quê," click here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PL824UEo5c

Note: If you like this posting, you're welcome to use it. Please be kind enough to credit  WhiteLibraTexas as the source.

No comments:

Post a Comment