Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Vietnamese Composer: Trịnh Công Sơn



What is my image of Trinh Cong Son [02/28/1939-04/01/2001], whose talents I greatly admire and love? A solitary man of many true talents! In his music, one would often find the evanescent nature of life, thirst for peace, sorrow of love, and many tragedies caused by his war-torn country, Vietnam, particularly during the period prior to 1975.
Trinh Cong Son, also a poet and painter, was born in Daklak, Vietnam. There is no way I am able to completely comprehend this Master's lyrics (very perspicacious!) without the help of my parents. His music is one of a kind. He is a true legend in the history of Vietnamese music, arts and entertainment. Although I grew up with American and French music, I started listening to and enjoying the Vietnamese music only a few years back; I love his music and I miss him--knowing he is no longer with us to write more of his beautiful melodies. Needless to say, he is greatly missed by many Vietnamese music lovers of different generations.

It was around December of 2009 that friends started to ask me if I actually understand Trinh Cong Son's lyrics? My honest answer is: "No--they're beyond my comprehension!" Nevertheless, because I love his melodies so much that I took time and patiently asked my parents and also my teacher (my private tutor who helped me "re-learn", as well as "learn more", about the beautiful Vietnamese language) to help me understand Trinh Cong Son's lyrics. Trinh Cong Son's lyrics are just too "deep"--I mean extremely "deep"! My comprehension of his lyrics is still weak, but still, it's enough for me to fall in love with his music. 

"Thương Một Người" is a very tender and beautiful song from this multi-talented musician. It's also one of my most favorite songs from him. This popular song has been recorded by various artists of different generations; however, my favorite version is from Ý Lan. She delivered an immaculate performance of this song. To watch my upload of this song on YouTube, click here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuXyB_8a-5I

To watch my upload of "Ru Ta Ngậm Ngùi," click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo-Ei1XZuu0

Note: If you like this posting, you're welcome to use it. Please be kind enough to credit  WhiteLibraTexas as the source.

3 comments:

  1. I'm Quang (50) from Vietnam. I read your writing about TCS and his music and understand that TCS will be immortal. An overseas Vietnamese like you must be respected for patriotism. I am a fan of TCS, too and have some posts of his songs on my blog. Visit it if you have some time. If you agree I will post this entry on my blog with my Vietnamese version. Or if your Vietnamese is good enough, plz give me a Vietnamese version.
    my blog: http://gocsan.blogspot.com
    and e-mail: nguyenquangy@gmail.com
    Glad to be your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, anh Quang, I'm ashamed to tell you that my Vietnamese is not good enough in order for me to be able to translate my English writing into Vietnamese. Nevertheless, I'm thrilled to know that you would like to post this version in Vietnamese on your blog. Thank you for the friendship. Warmest regards.
    ~WhiteLibraTexas~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not seen you here for ages (at least 2 years. How have you been? Is everything OK?
      All the best to you and family
      NQ

      Delete